The Genesis of All Saints Episcopal Church
Throughout most of its history, Tybee Island was a summer resort for the people of Savannah and the surrounding area. Many families owned summer cottages on Tybee, and other visitors rented hotel and motel rooms. Winter months found Tybee mostly deserted until after World War II, when year-round residency began to grow.
Episcopalians living on and visiting the island began to organize religious services in the late 1940's, meeting first in the old Methodist church (which was destroyed by a hurricane in 1948) then at Tybee City Hall for Sunday evening mass. Several clergy and lay readers from Savannah parishes provided leadership and support. Early records of the
Tybee City Council minutes reflect the continued use of City Hall for Episcopal services through the 1950's. Council minutes also record many letters of gratitude from our Bishop Bland Tucker to the City Council.